Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Why my husband rocks

I realize that in the birth story post I didn't even mention how awesome Pete was while I was in labor. He was so great, I decided he deserves his own post.

I kept my promise and never yelled at Pete while I was in labor, but it had nothing to do with my self-restraint and everything to do with my amazing husband. If anything, my addiction to bad tv has taught me that the poor husband is usually the target of a laboring woman's diatribes. Throughout my pregnancy I had apologized to Pete in advance for how mean I was going to be during labor.

Instead, Pete was probably the one person I didn't yell at. My poor mom and the nurse received the brunt of it. But Pete never doubted me when I informed everyone I did not want an epidural and I was not going to change my mind (unlike said nurse). He listened to me when I told everyone not to talk during the contractions (unlike everyone else in the room). I had my eyes closed through most of the last hour of excruciating pain, but all I had to do was reach out and Pete would magically be there and grab my hand. He read my mind and rubbed my back, fed me ice, put wet wash cloths on my forehead, etc when I couldn't articulate what I wanted. And most importantly, he was my advocate when it looked like I was headed for a c-section.

As I write this, I am at a loss for words to express my love for him. He does all the cooking and cleaning, he makes sure we pay our bills because I'm too flakey to keep track, he's handy, he's good at everything, he's brilliant, he's hysterically funny, he makes a huge deal about my birthday because he knows I love it, he treats me like a princess, he doesn't complain about the bad tv I watch, he is understanding and compassionate when I have anxiety attacks, he loves my friends and family, he's always on my side (so much that he holds grudges on my behalf long after I've forgiven and forgotten), he gave me the best nickname I've ever had, he has the most beautiful eyes, he's tall and handsome and has sexy strong shoulders, he is my kind of silly and fun, he is the greatest partner and friend I could ever ask for. He has always taken care of me, so I'm not sure why I'm even surprised that he was so wonderful the day our daughter was born. Every woman should be so lucky. Thank you Pete!

Oh, and did I mention that I asked him for a baby girl and he came through?

No comments: