Thursday, March 26, 2009

sibling fun

For some reason I've always imagined having just one child. Perhaps because I am an only child and I cherish the relationship I have with my mom. Or perhaps because I'm selfish :P

But I actually never felt like a true only child. I had Ted and I always thought of him more like my brother than my uncle. So, now that I have Riley I find myself torn between wanting a close relationship with my only child and wanting her to have a close relationship with a brother or sister.

The good thing is that she does have a brother. It's not an ideal situation since Aidan is only with us half the week and he is so much older. 8 years is a big difference and Pete and I feel like we have two only children. Like most little sisters, Riley already idolizes her big brother. Her face lights up when she sees him and he can get her to smile and laugh even when she is feeling cranky. Of course Aidan loves Riley, but he really has little time and attention span for her. And then there are moments like tonight when I feel so happy for Riley that she does have a big brother.


Playing catch with her big brother

Just the beginning of a lifetime of picking on the little sister
Worn out after all the fun


This video makes me want a house full of children...

No comments: